Felton Early Autism Program (FEAP)
What is Autism?
Felton Family Developmental Center
Who Are We?
Felton Institute’s Family Developmental Center (FDC) is
San Francisco’s licensed & largest subsidized early care and education program serving children from birth to six years old. For over forty-five years, it has been the only program in San Francisco to serve infants and toddlers who have physical or developmental challenges, within an inclusive program model. We’re located at:
2730 Bryant Street, 1st floor
San Francisco CA 94110
Main: (415) 282-1090 ext. 104
Fax: (415) 282-1735
What makes our program unique?
- Access to high-quality intervention program for children with autism
- Targeted and individualized intervention delivered within an inclusive early care and education setting, with typically-developing peers
- Access to community-based resources and supports
- Access to an on-site multidisciplinary Early Intervention team
- Access to staff with formal training in early childhood education and certification in the Early Start Denver Model
The Early Start Denver Model is the only comprehensive early intervention model that has been validated in a randomized clinical trial for use with children with autism as young as 18 months of age. It’s effective for children with autism across a wide range of learning styles and abilities.
For more information, click here to learn more about the ESDM.
Children with autism are enrolled in general early childhood classrooms along with their typically developing peers. Specialized intervention is embedded within the naturally-occurring routines and activities of the classroom.
Family-Centered & Community-Based
Although traditionally offered in the home, FEAP allows children with autism to receive ESDM intervention in a community-based setting, thereby allowing families to have access to other supports and resources in the community, including parent support groups and parenting workshops, parent advocacy programs, referral services, on-site and off-site mental health services, Felton’s FDC’s weekly farmer’s market, and the child care food program.
Our on-site Early Intervention team consists of:
- Early Childhood Educators
- Early Interventionists
- Early Childhood Special Educators
- Speech and Language Pathologists
- Pediatric Registered Nurse
- Mental Health Consultant
Families attending the program may also receive:
- 1:1 individualized instruction
- Home visits
- Speech and language therapy
- Feeding therapy
- Daily nurse monitoring and care
- Mental health consultations
- Referrals to other community-based programs
FEAP serves children birth to 3 who have autism or exhibit autistic-like behaviors. Children attend the program 5 days
a week, for 3 hours each day, and receive intervention from staff that are trained and/or certified in Early Start Denver
Model (ESDM) under a 1:2 staff-to-child ratio.
FEAP provides the benefits of delivering treatment within an enriched educational environment in which children with autism and typically developing children play and learn together. All teaching staff and families receive ongoing consultation and training from FDC’s on-site multidisciplinary Early Intervention team.
Children are referred directly by Golden Gate Regional Center.
What role does Felton play in helping families of children with autism?
For more information
For more information, please contact:
Fax: (415) 282-1735